

# BAKERSFIELD COLLEGE STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION

1801 Panorama Drive, Campus Center, Room 4 | Bakersfield, California 93305

## DEPARTMENT OF LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

4:10 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.

Executive Boardroom

---

**1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER\***

**2. ROLL CALL\***

*A two-thirds quorum must be established to hold a bonafide meeting*

The following members were present: Director of Legislative Affairs Lyons, Legislative Affairs Manager Manos, Senator Goddard, and Senator Graves.

The following members were absent: None.

The following members were excused: None.

**3. ADOPTION OF AGENDA**

*The Committee will discuss this agenda and may choose to amend or edit the agenda. Upon conclusion of the discussion the Committee may choose to adopt the agenda.* Manager Manos moved to adopt the agenda. The motion was seconded by Senator Goddard.

**4. ADOPTION OF MINUTES**

*The Committee will discuss those minutes and may choose to amend or edit the minutes. Upon conclusion of the discussion the Committee may choose to adopt the minutes.*

- a. No minutes to adopt.

**5. PUBLIC COMMENT\***

*The Chair may elect to take public comment on any action items on this agenda. The Chair may impose reasonable limits on the length members of the public may speak which is stated before comment commence.*

None.

**6. INDIVIDUAL REPORTS**

*The Chair shall recognize any officer of the Association, including the BCSGA Advisor, to offer a report on official activities since the previous meeting and make any summary announcements deemed necessary for no longer than five minutes.*

- a. Chair, Director Lyons

We have outlined all of the events for the year. That is going to consist of a legislative affairs booth to bring out awareness at the beginning of each semester. The first one is on August 24, 2016. We have been to two region 5 meetings. The last one was in Lemoore. It has been productive. All of the positions have been filled. It looks like there will be some shake up in that some of our positions are looking to move up to leadership positions in the SSCCC, so they will be cleared out of the region. In line with region meetings, in August and September, I am trying to bring a lot more people. If you know anyone who wants to go, let me know so I can get them on roll. I want to get them on the roll two weeks out at the very least. In September I am trying to get at least 10 to 15 people to come out, with as little BCSGA involvement as possible. I want maybe 2 to 3 members from the BCSGA, and the rest to consist of the student body. I want to get them more involved with the region politics. I, Manager Manos, President Frazer, and Vice President Jimenez will be going out to the SSCCC leadership conference where we will be picking out the leadership positions of SSCCC. In two weeks, I will give a breakdown of what happened there and what the feeling is of the region at SSCCC as to what kind of power we have, what we can do, and the leverage that we can hope to expect. Are there any questions from what I just said?

*Senator Goddard* : Is anyone free to go?

*Director Lyons* : Anyone can go. The next one is already booked, but at the end of July there is a region meeting. It is not SSCCC, but it is a region meeting. For the region, you can get positions just by being a member of the community college. There are going to be a few senator positions, as well as treasurer, and secretary. Anyone in this room could run for these positions if they wanted to, as long

**Notes:**

*Unless otherwise marked by an asterisk, all agenzied items are action items upon which the Senate may take action. Action items may be taken out of the order to be presented at the discretion of the Chair. BCSGA supports providing equal access to all programs for people with disabilities. Reasonable efforts will be made to provide accommodations to people with disabilities attending the meeting. Please call the Office of Student Life at (661) 395-4614 as soon as possible to arrange for appropriate accommodation.*

---

*Agendas are posted 72 hours before the meetings commences in accordance with the Ralph M. Brown Act.  
Agendas are posted at the BCSGA bulletin board located in the Bakersfield College Campus Center and online at [www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/bcsga](http://www.bakersfieldcollege.edu/bcsga)*

*If you would like a copy of any of the agenda items listed, please contact Office of Student Life at 661-395-4614 or [studentlife@bakersfieldcollege.edu](mailto:studentlife@bakersfieldcollege.edu).*



as they are a member of a community college within the region. The meetings tend to end around 8:00 p.m. or 9:00 p.m. That may be a concern for you.

*Manager Manos:* I just want to verify that the next meeting is on July 28, 2016.

*Director Lyons:* If that is a Thursday, then yes.

- b. BCSGA Advisor, *Dr. Damania*  
None.

## 7. NEW BUSINESS

*Items listed in this agenda item have not already been read or discussed once and thus are considered for approval of the committee*

- a. Discussion on COBRA 503

Discussion:

*Director Lyons:* Senator Goddard, just look over it. It will help you out with the department. I will go over the responsibilities and stuff like that. Grammatical errors, things you do not feel the department should or should not be doing, stuff we can add or take away. These are the things I just want you to look over. You can find this on the Bakersfield College website. It is under title 5, section 3. You do not have to do that this meeting. This item on the agenda is going to move into old business, and it is just going to be there the entire time. We can always discuss it. It is not an immediate thing that we have to get done. Manager Manos, I know there were a few things you were highlighting.

*Manager Manos:* If the department feels there are a few areas that we need to address. It is more of getting a feel of what we do as we go. Adhering to what the regulations say we are supposed to be doing. As of now, I do not see anything that conflicts with the department right now. We should look over it though.

*Director Lyons:* I think COBRA is fine as it is. What I do think we are lacking as far as institutional knowledge goes is a handbook. I meant to do that last year, but things got out of hand. I would like to move toward that The COBRA is an outline, but it does not really go into specifics, especially with the change up at SSCCC with how the intricacies work, how the regions behave, what their role is. That is one of the tasks I want to get done this year.

- b. Discussion on outreach activities for the department

Discussion:

*Director Lyons:* This is outside of the fall events that we have already built. Does anybody have ideas on outreach activities?

*Advisor Damania:* I believe I e-mailed a few of you about a software called, "Turbo Vote." I would ask that you engage your community in voting for the national elections, in doing a rock the vote event. When the debates are happening, you can see if we can stream them and watch them somewhere with some popcorn, where we could also hold an open forum. With the election happening this year, I think it is suitable to hold a few events surrounding it.

*Director Lyons:* I know that is one of the things you want us to focus on. We also got that from the region. The streaming event would be cool to do. It would be cool to get the fireside room for an evening. Generally the debates are at six or seven at night. Would that be okay?

*Advisor Damania:* We could get a projector and put it in the cafeteria because it closes by 6:00 p.m. Maybe we could also get a few faculty members to do commentary during intermissions. One republican signed faculty member, a democrat signed faculty member, or even a tea party faculty signed member. We could even get people from the community, some Bakersfield republican or Bakersfield democrats to come and do some presentations or to talk alongside it. With the start of school and national elections, you want to have anywhere between three to four events.

*Director Lyons:* On the community aspect of that, I am starting to get involved with the bond measures and reaching out to the veteran community so that I can get in touch with the more politically minded

veterans. I know I will have a good touch base with that side of the community over the next coming months. Going back to Turbo Vote, are you familiar with that?

*Director Lyons* : Basically, you get students to register through Turbo Vote. They get notifications of things that are happening and reminders about voting and ballots. That is how it was four years ago, and I think some of the modules have changed now. There is a cost factored into it though.

*Director Lyons* : Does it register you to vote?

*Director Damania* : No. I do not think so. The last version, it did not.

*Manager Manos* : If we could put that into one of our events, where we could get a bulk of registration forms and host one our booths to be focused on handing out those forms.

*Advisor Damania* : I think you have to go through some training to do so. I could be wrong, but double check on that. Once a week have a booth out there that gets people to register to vote. I think that would be great.

*Director Lyons* : I will definitely look into actually being able to register people. I know we have two events in August. We have the legislative affairs booth, and the legislative update. We could definitely include a portion of that into registering.

*Advisor Damania* : Remember that registering people is not the same as getting people to vote and vote responsible

*Director Lyons* : I think that if it is done in tandem, it would probably have the best result. Getting them to register and putting them into Turbo Vote or a similar program.

*Advisor Damania* : Every year people register to vote, they just do not follow through with it. That is why Turbo Vote is helpful because it keeps reminding them.

*Senator Graves* : Why not try to introduce a legislative Shakespeare. Reach out to the art students and create some skits. One for the registration process and the other one for the importance of voting. I think it would get a bigger response and draw different interest from people because of the unique approach. Students tend to respond to things that are catchy and fun. So that is a way to incorporate those two things.

*Director Lyons* : Manager Manos brought up something similar with having a group perform a rap. So it is on the table. My only concern with it is if it is a dud. You know those after school drug skits that were really quirky and potentially pushed people away? That would be my only problem. I am not discounting the idea. I would definitely try to engage some of the art students sometime this week once my health improves.

c. Discussion on department responsibilities for the year

Discussion:

*Director Lyons* : As far as senators go, Senator Graves and Senator Goddard, all I need you to do is show up to meetings and look at meeting material beforehand. I will be attaching event proposals that have been completed. I will have copies here as well. There will be four for the fall semester that I want to get approved of at the next meeting. I want to go over them. I will have them filled out with line item price sheets and all that. That is the main thing though. When we come to these meetings, stuff that gets approved by the department, these things need to get read beforehand. We have only been in here 40 minutes. I want it to stay like that. I want us to be in here very quick, already having what we want to say ready. We get out of here in thirty minutes, no more than an hour. As far as the department itself. This department engages the student body and we make sure that what they want and what they need it taken care of and is vocalized. Everyone in this department needs to go out and talk to people. Keeping your ears open is important. If you hear any problem on campus, bring it to

the meeting. It is a passive responsibility of this department to keep our ears open for problems around campus that should be fixed. This department is the voice. We are going to voice our concerns. I can talk to President Sonya Christian off and on, but if I have to, I will bring things up to her.

*Manager Manos* : There are concerns among the Veterans that certain things are not offered to them as much as other things are offered to the rest of the student body. They would like to see things changed as soon as possible. One of them would be coming back to school and maybe suffering from things such as PTSD. That might not be taken into consideration when they are given guidance to enroll. It could be a very overwhelming situation for someone who is adjusting to being in a student environment. This may push veterans from going back into school. There was an idea of having an outreach department in which we could involve the psychology department and try to address situations like this that attempts to reduce the stress.

*Director Lyons* : So you are talking about an outreach initiative specifically to help with awareness. Not so much treating, but making it an easier time to enroll in school.

*Manager Manos* : Yes. That is what a couple veterans on campus are talking about here on campus. Another one was disabled vets. We know we have DSPTS, but what was being discussed was perhaps there could be parking for disabled vets. Closer parking would help a disabled vet get to class. Something to help them get on campus in a less stressful manner. That is what was being voiced.

*Director Lyons* : I am involved specifically with the veteran's community portion of the bond. Veteran issues here on campus, bring them to these meeting. I have more influence to act on those things outside of this room. If the students you talk to bring up those issues and are willing to talk, bring them to me. I will bring them to the bond outreach meetings. Today I was supposed to go to the VFW with Professor Beckworth and President Sonya Christian to give a presentation on the bond. I could not because I am sick. That is a sidebar on veteran issues on campus. This bond is structured so that a piece of the bond is really focusing on veteran stuff. If we can get programs up and running beforehand, that is great. I appreciate you bringing this information to me.

*Manager Manos* : This might be unrealistic, but implementing EBT on campus, or an EBT machine on campus. I know that we have services like the Renegade Pantry to help alleviate not having food.

*Director Lyons* : I know that it is an issue on campus that is being looked at, and it was something that was trying to be remedied, or it was decided that we could not do that. I thought it was something that was trying to be implemented. We can definitely look into that though.

**d. Discussion on Fall events**

Discussion:

*Director Lyons* : We are going to have 2 at the beginning of each semester. It is going to be an awareness booth that conveys we are the legislative department, we are your voice on campus and we are here to push your issues up to the region and state level and make sure your voices have sway there. We have the influence to do things, we just need things to act on. Or what not to act on. When someone tries to pass something we do not want, we can try and squash it. August 24<sup>th</sup>, and around the same time in January, we will bring out that legislative affairs booth. A few days later, we will hold a legislative update in the fireside room. The first one of the year will go over all off the things that happened in the summer, introducing them to their region representatives and their SSCCC representative. Some of the legislation that is happening at the state level that could affect them, and what their opinion on it is. Make sure to give them a forum they feel comfortable with to talk to us about their issues. We cannot listen to everyone, so if someone has a problem they can come to us. I want them to feel comfortable doing that. That is what we will be doing at the end of every month. So August through November we will have one, as well as through January through April of next year. We will miss the months during finals. Those are updates. At the meetings, we want to provide finger food. I am thinking about having a theme to each month, but pizza is always a successful option. Beverages at well. As the beginning of the year, we will be giving something out. I want people to help

advertise us. Anything to get people to talk about us. We want to make sure people on this campus want to talk to us.

\*Senator Graves was excused from the meeting at 4:55 p.m.

e. Discussion on collaborative events

Discussion:

*Director Lyons* : We have student Activities and we have the clubs. If you know anyone part of a club that we can partner with on campus that we can help host an event for, reach out to them. I know Senator Graves has the committee on advancement that deals with diversity issues and pushing them on campus. I want to see if we can collaborate with them and help push some of their events along.

**8. COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS\***

Manager Manos: I like my department.

*The Chair shall recognize in turn Officers requesting the floor for a period not to exceed three minutes. The total time for Comments and Announcements before the first reading of legislation shall not exceed fifteen minutes.*

Manager Manos: I like my department.

**9. PUBLIC COMMENT\***

*The Chair may elect to take public comment on any action items on this agenda. The Chair may impose reasonable limits on the length members of the public may speak which is stated before comment commence.*

None.

**10. ADJOURNMENT**

In there being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 4:58 p.m.